Sunday, May 26, 2013

My life in KAIST on the 2nd week of May 2013 - Part 1 (KLcX & G. Rium Concert)

This post is the first part of my life story in KAIST on the 2nd week of May 2013.

KLcX promotional poster

Nothing so special during the weekdays, but approaching the weekend I attended several events held in KAIST. The first one is KISA Languange & Culture Exchange, abbreviated as KLcX (I don't have any idea why they abbreviate the KLcX term like this haha...). It is a brand new program launched by KISA and is organized by my Indonesian friend, Cindy. I was notified about his program by email. Yep, recently most of KISA announcements are published through personal email. I even made a special folder in my email account thus the email from KISA or KISA-related event will go directly to that folder and I can manage them easily.

KLcX promotional brochure

As written in KLcX promotional brochure, this event can be summarized as an event where you are able to meet your partner, share yours and and learn your partner's language and culture in KAIST. It has a goal which is maintaining good relation among international students and local (Korean) student. The background of this event, according to an article in KAIST Herald (vol. 122, page 7, May 2013), was set as the continuation from the previous KISA's Sensitivity Training event. As explained in the article, the Sensitivity Training event which served as open discussion between Korean and international students was perceived to have a lack personal interactions and long term impacts. Thus, Cindy made a proposal to organize one new event (KLcX) similar to Sensitivity Training but with different approach.

As initially designed by the organizer, this event is set as one to one interaction. However, due to difficulty of arranging the "perfect couples" (as illustrated in the brochure), it is expanded into one small group consisted of 3 people. In my case, I want to learn Chinese as 1st priority & Korean as the 2nd priority (I hope my lifetime companion is either Chinese or Korean, by descent or nationality, thus it is better to be "well-prepared" with the language and culture ^^,). Then, I was met with my partner, Yao Min, a Chinese student who wants to learn Korean. Finally, the third person Lee Ji Yi (she didn't come to the first meeting) who is Korean and wants to learn English was added to our group. I guess we could practice the language and cultural sharing by me & Yao Min teach Lee Ji Yi English, Lee Ji Yi teaches Yao Min & I Korean, and Yao Min teaches me Chinese.

In the first meeting I attended on the 2nd Week of May 2013, we met our partner for the first time, exchanged contact information, and talked about our background, etc. Also the requirements of KLcX was also introduced. Those requirements are: each group will be supervised by one mentor from KISA, every group meeting should be documented by the group and notify it to the KISA supervisor either through Facebook, KakaoTalk, or email. There will be another meeting after final exam I guess. The first meeting was finally closed by pizza dinner provided free by KISA. To be honest, free pizza was my second motivation for joining this event haha... It is a natural grad student attitude as portrayed in one comic strip of PHD Comics. In addition, after completing my first KLcX meeting, I caught up with my lab mates to celebrate a newcomer to our lab then played LOL together. That was my second time to play LOL, and I started to enjoy this game since then.

KAIST Spring Culture Festival 2013 G.Rium Concert

After KLcX, in the following day I attended KAIST Spring Culture Festival which featured G.Rium Concert. Well, frankly speaking this G. Rium concert wasn't same as my expectation. Previously in 2012 G. Rium also performed in KAIST Spring Culture festival featuring piano quartet. However, this year G. Rium was not a piano quartet performance, but rather a combination between violin and piano performance, and was made exclusive by the appearance of their special MC. I attended the event not till the end, cause I had experiment appointment. Anyway, this concert, together with another piano concert I attended later, triggered my desire to learn piano. Since then I self-practice to play piano whenever I have time wherever the piano available. I started my piano practice by learning how to play Somewhere in My Memory by John Williams.

No comments:

Post a Comment